26 January 2009

balsamic leg of lamb


with Thoroughly Wild Meat, salt marsh mutton

Ingredients

Leg of lamb


stud with 3 anchovy, and rub with s & p.

Into the heavy lidded pot with a good glass of sherry vinegar - (I love it in Spanish food so in it went)
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon rinsed capers
2 fresh bay leaves
half pint tap water (no need for stock, it produces an intense sauce)



Roast, covered (and cartouched) for an hour at 190, down to 170 for 2.5 hours.
After the first 2 hours, pour over a glass of balsamic vinegar whilst turning the meat.



Take out, wrap in foil to relax, & strain juices for your sauce, but there's no need to reduce



My husband always likes mint sauce

made with fresh chopped mint







& a larger piece, same timings, it's a consistent recipe





.

12 comments:

Luca said...

Hi Gill

That looks fabulous. I shall definitely be making it soon.

GillthePainter said...

Why thank you Luca. I quite impressed myself that day experimenting with balsamic. Gill

Elisabeth said...

This is one on my "to do" list too Gill. It looks rather divine & moorish. I think someone I know will love it! Congrats on your blog! Elisaxx

gillthepainter said...

Hi Elisa.
Thank you for the congrats.

janetching said...

Oh I would love to try this, it looks yummy. I have bought a few bottles of balsamic vinegar, mistakenly bought one after another one.

GillthePainter said...

I may join you this weekend too, if my husband fancies lamb.

joanna said...

That does look divine Gill, what a colour you get on that lamb wow!

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you Joanna.
It's a good one if I say so myself,

Lynne Beutlich said...

Joanna just sent me the link to this and I so want to make it as soon as I buy some lamb....am thinking to serve with hummous and flat bread....and a decent bottle or red

Gill the Painter said...

Hello Lynne & a warm welcome.
I should think hummous and flat bread would be a wonderful companion.

There's a Beeb thread running: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/classic/NF2670471?thread=7806821&skip=0

& Belgian Endive, Elisa has just made the dish.

Enjoy

mamta said...

I was typing and touched a wrong key by mistake, the whole thing disappeared!
Anyway, your lamb looks deeeleecious Gill. I can taste it, even though I don't eat meat now.
I might try your potato parmesan cakes for our neighbours X-mas party this year (we have around 14 of them once a year for dinner).
I add a dash of my best balsamic to things during cooking sometimes, and I have to say that it always enhances the taste.

Anonymous said...

Hi theге, this weekеnd is nice
in suρρort of me, for thе гeаson that thiѕ momеnt i
am reаding this wonderful informativе piecе of
writing hеre at my геѕidencе.
Here is my web page ... Here

Post a Comment