31 January 2009

spiced sumac lamb, almond yoghurt sauce, potatoes & purple kale

Middle Eastern, it's spiced, but not spicy

ingredients
leg of lamb marinade
3 garlic cloves
1.5 tablesp sumac
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
glug olive oil

Blend

the sauce
125g blanched almonds
2 tablesp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp ajwain/ carom seeds (or cumin as a sub)
a lot of sea salt to taste
large shallot pureed
200mil natural yoghurt

Toast each of the nuts and seeds individually, wiping out the pan.
Blitz to a puree, and stir into the yoghurt adding plenty of seasoning.
Fry the shallot till golden in evoo, drain, cool, and stir 3/4 into sauce, and top with the remainder.

Method for the dish

Marinade the deboned, tightly rolled and tied up lamb, for one hour.
Cook lamb to your liking, we like leg of lamb well done, slow roasted.
Place on a rack over tray & bake on high for 15 mins (your oven may smoke ............... mine did)
Turn oven to 150/ 160, toss raw peeled potatoes in tray, place rack and lamb over, cover entire tray with 2 layers of foil, and bake for 2 and a half hours.

Rest and slice. Rolled tightly, it keeps it's shape very well.

Serve with the potatoes and sautéed purple kale.







4 comments:

Jonathan Earnshaw said...

Wow Gill - this looks amazing! I love Middle Eastern food - so I'll definitely give this a try!

Only just had breakfast and it is making me hungry :)

Gill the Painter said...

that's what we like to hear, Jonathon.
When you come to try it, any problems getting carom (or even sumac) give me a shout.
I bought a rather big bag full.

Jonathan Earnshaw said...

Fantastic - thank you! I might have to take you up on that - I have never seen Sumac in the shops! I'm preparing a chicken balti tonight - how about you?

Gill the Painter said...

Very nice. I'll wait to see that on your blog

A soup day for us last night - the heinz-esque cream of tomato soup seems to be my husbands favourite at the moment Jonathon.

I'm cooking a bit at the weekend, so there should be a just a couple of blog entries more.

Post a Comment