These are fabulous. I confess I omitted the garlic from the original recipe at my husband's request, and added almond tops
Mine didn't spread much, but maintained a firmer biscuit.
Click on image for detailed pictures.
175g unsalted butter, softened
175g grated strong cheddar
1 tsp chilli flakes
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika, sweet smoked is perfect
a small clove of garlic, crushed to a paste
175g plain flour
150g whole blanched almonds, Marconas are good
2 tbsp ice-cold water or milk
- Chop the butter roughly and beat it with the cheddar, chilli flakes, salt, paprika and garlic until smooth. If you're mixing by hand it's easiest to beat the ingredients in one by one; or if your using a food processor just let it wiz away for a minute.
- Add the flour, work everything together to a smooth soft dough, then stir in the almonds.
- Spoon the mixture onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper, roll it into a cylinder about 4cm thick by 30cm long.
- Then chill or freeze it.
- To bake, cut 1cm thick slices and place a few cm apart on a lined baking tray.
- Heat the oven to 180C (fan 160C) and bake for 25 minutes until golden.