Sunflower, BBC messageboards. I followed her given recipe link, it's wonderful
click here for my slideshow
The dish I prepared comprised 3 stages:
- the mackerel pieces (I chose not to purée) with paste blend in banana leaf wrap
- the coconut cream & turmeric sauce
- the pak choi side dish
500 gram red snapper sliced skinless
500 gram mackerel sliced skinless
50 gram lemongrass sliced
30 gram ginger sliced
50 gram shallots sliced
20 gram galangal sliced
50 gram turmeric root sliced
10 lime leaves chopped
* 10 daun kadok leaves chopped fine, sub thai basil
*2 whole eggs
50 mil coconut cream
fish farce (any bits of fish spare)
Seasoning with salt and sugar
- In a food processor, blend the lemongrass, ginger, shallots, galangal and turmeric root until it becomes a paste.
- Combine lime leaves, kadok leaves (or thai basil), fish farce, eggs and coconut cream and adjust the seasoning with salt and sugar.
- Soft banana leaves by running them over a naked gas flame for 30 seconds, and scrunch
- Spread the stuffing into banana leaf
- Place fish pieces on top
- Spread stuffing on top of fish
- Wrap carefully.
- Then either steam or bake the otak otak. 15 minutes in the oven.
For the coconut cream sauce
100 ml coconut cream
1 teasp gram corn flour
40 ml water
1 teasp turmeric powder & grated fresh turmeric
Seasoning with salt and sugar.
- Boil the water and the seasoning.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer for a while.
- Combine the corn flour and the turmeric with some water and mix well.
- Add the corn flour mix and thicken the sauce by simmering for one minute.
- Adjust the seasoning
Serve with a simple steamed pak choi, soy, water and sesame dish