chicken & potatoes
as you see in French towns,
industrial chicken rotisseries with their catchment of potatoes in the base
obviously you can only do this if your oven is very clean, mine is washed every time I use it
- place a potato inside the chicken cavity, and butter the skin or rub it in your oil of the day
- put your peeled potatoes, sometimes I use whole baby ones, in a tray underneath, but proud of the meat
- at 150 gently for 2hours30, to 3 hours, protected by a square of foil
- high for 20 mins protected by a small square of foil then down to 170 for 1hour30 - 2hours
- layered in 2 coats of foil, baked for 3hours untouched at 170
- rest the chicken in foil, keep the potatoes high in the oven to crisp & keep warm
- de-glaze the juices with a glass of wine, reducing for your sauce
the same deal with lamb
I couldn't barbecue - my husband never was a fan - so in order to make this dish indian style roast lamb
I had to improvise
1 leg of lamb
5 fl oz greek style or natural yogurt
3 crushed cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 tblsp ground cumin
1 tblsp ground coriander
1 tblsp chilli powder
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 tblsp vegetable oil
the cucumber raita
1 grated cucumber
spring onions or chives, finely chopped
tub greek style yogurt
salt and pepper
- prick holes in the lamb, combine the marinade ingredients and rub over the lamb. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- place the lamb directly on the oven bars, with the potatoes underneath to cook in the juices.
- turn periodically for an even bake, and slow roast for 2hours30 - 3hours
- allow to stand for 10 minutes or so before serving.
- make the cucumber raita by combining all the ingredients.
carve lamb into chunky slices, serve with the raita & potatoes.