30 March 2009

Dan Lepard mill loaf


Well now.
I've created the leaven, detailed DL steps here for you too, & I had quite a large batch to use at the weekend, so I made 2 of his mill loaves from the handmade loaf book



yesterday, with 500g of the agent.


I never really understood what the fuss was with sourdough leaven, people talk about the acidity & slight sourness.
& I can now tell exactly what they are on about.

Yeast bread is a completely different, & I much prefer this form of bread, the artisan baker sort that you get in markets.

So, here we have 2 mill loaves, quite an easy method to follow, I printed mine out and ticked each stage of the process off, whilst reading the Sunday papers at my leisure


ingredients
500g my white leaven
550g water at 20deg (just rest it at room temperature)
600g white flour
300g wholewheat flour
100g rye flour
2.5 tsp fine sea salt

8:00 am till 9:00
  • whisk leaven with water, add the flours with the salt, and mix well with your hands
  • cover the bowl & rest for 10 mins
  • lightly oil a clean surface and knead the dough for 10 seconds, rotating it by a quarter at intervals, shape into a ball & cover & rest for 10 mins
  • clean & dry your bowl well, and rub with a little oil
  • another 10 sec knead & back into the clean bowl for a 10 mins covered rest
  • another 10 sec knead & cover & rest for 30 mins

9:00 till 11:00
  • knead the dough for 10 secs and cover & rest the ball for 1 hour


  • knead the dough for 10 secs and cover & rest the ball for a second hour

11:00 -- till 15:30
  • divide your dough ball into 2


  • dust your surface lightly, and knead each dough for 10 secs & rest for 10 mins covered on your surface
  • flour 2 clean tea towels to prevent any sticking during this next shaping & resting process
  • lay one dough ball onto the floured towel, and press it down neatly & flattish with your hand
  • fold the top left corner in 2 inches, the right top corner in 2 inches, and the centre point you now have fold down 2 inches, firmly sealing the edges without air locks
  • rotate the dough 180 deg, and repeat the 3 folds ............... like so


  • fold directly in half along the central horizontal you see
  • & gently press and roll together, gently manipulating it into a rugby ball with tapered edges
  • repeat with the second dough & fold each gently with their tea towel, with that seam up-side
  • rest, covering both with a 3rd tea towel & rest for 4 hours - they will slowly rise, doubling in size

3:30 the baking
  • preheat the oven to 220 deg
  • I use a tefal non-stick mat, but dust an oven tray with semolina
  • gently roll one risen dough onto your tray, so that the seam is under-side now
  • dust with flour & slash boldly
  • spray the loaf with water & bake for 50 mins - I turned mine half way through
  • rest on the bars in the cooling oven afterwards for 5 mins
  • cool on a wire rack

that under-side in the end is rather neat




now bake the second loaf likewise










2 comments:

Sam said...

Sourdough is delicious but I've never successfully made it myself. Your loaf looks like bread perfection!

Gill the Painter said...

Nope, neither had I Sam, but I've heard a lot about it.

I'll still be making yeast breads, but I was a bit chuffed with this one.

Post a Comment