10 March 2009

Dan Lepard rye crispbreads

Swedish dark crisp rye bread, adapted after Dan Lepard


I was thinking about how to make ryvitas. I've always enjoyed them since I was a teenager & after a discussion on the Beeb re Scandinavian knäckebröd, went to my new book

:

The Handmade Loaf book, by Dan Lepard, and chose it as the first recipe to try out



They are nutty, very savoury & go perfectly with cheese or sweet jam
I've just had some as my favourite snack - with marmite & cottage cheese


I had a hiccup the first attempt, the yeast didn't react as much as I hoped, so I had to adapt the process as you see it before you, to make compensations


The only problem I'm having is to get these more brittle - I'll work on it


The recipe really should be made with proper DL leaven I'm sure


ingredients
200g rye flour
180mil tepid water
1 tsp fresh yeast at room temperature
1/2 teasp sea salt





  • gently crumble the fresh yeast into the tepid water, add 2 tablespoons of the flour & leave covered for 15 minutes to ferment - a little longer if there is no reaction
  • add the salt to the remainder of the flour & pour into the fermented yeast mix
  • cover & leave in an ambient place for 3 hours - mine doubled in size in the oven with the light on




  • on a teflon mat, heavily flour the mix & your rolling pin, you don't want any sticking
  • & roll to 3/4 cm depth




  • cover with a damp cloth (if you don't it cracks) & cling film
  • rest for 2 hours to double in size
  • gash into cracker sizes & stab masses of indents into the surface (this helps keep them brittle)
  • bake at 200 for 40 - 50 mins, turning the tray at intervals


  • leave on the oven bars for 10 minutes as the oven cools, & dry your knäckebröd on a wire rack overnight, or for 24 hours

2 comments:

Terry Dowdy said...

Looks delicious!!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Terry
Thank you.

Post a Comment