3 March 2009

national pie week - a plate pie

or should I say national Jus-Rol week
my husband adores pies, so I've made a plate pie, mince is the best filling I think,
making the shortcrust pastry using goose fat

ingredients for the filler
onion
minced beef
good stock or a can of ale (I used ale here)
3 thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes
1 heaped teaspoon Colmans mustard
s & p
no herbs for Tony, but I'd have liked a small sprinkle of rosemary

  • fry the onion, add the liquid and the tomatoes & the raw mince
  • simmer the mix for 1hour30 till juicy, rich & tender

note I don't add flour as there's enough in the pastry, but rely on reducing the liquid for good filler consistency

ingredients for the pastry
220g plain flour
pinch salt
100g goose fat
2-3 cold tablesp water

  • sieve the flour & salt into a bowl
  • add blobs of goose fat (it's quite liquid)
  • cut in with a palate knife to bring it together
  • add water a drop at a time & quickly work the pastry together into a dough for 1 minute
  • rest for 30 mins in the fridge
  • cut in half and roll out on a floured surface
  • use half for the bottom of your plate
  • add the filler
  • wash edges with beaten egg
  • place the top pastry half over the mix.
  • seal edges, cut a steam hole & wash the plate pie with beaten egg


  • bake at 180, covered with protective greaseproof paper, for 50mins
  • rest for 10 mins in the warmth of the oven whilst making the sautéed cabbage

ps I had made a reserve of dark gravy but it wasn't needed.







4 comments:

Anne said...

looks great Gill, is a naughtily good idea for the rest of our goose fat from xmas!

Gill the Painter said...

I've got so much goose fat in the freezer, Anne, so pastry seems like a good use.

Margaret said...

I love mince beef pie. I missed national pie week - I even bought a little blackbird to put in the middle of the pie!

Gill the Painter said...

I saw that margaret when I looked at your terrific blog.

Post a Comment