recipe by death by curry
& very tasty it is too
large bag fresh spinach, washed well
3 large floury potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
groundnut oil or ghee butter for frying
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground coriander seed
1/4 tsp ground cardamom seed
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tablesp grated fresh ginger
salt & black pepper
- dry fry coriander and cardamom seeds, and blend
- place clean spinach in a large pot.
- add potatoes cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- lower the heat to a simmer, and cook about 12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- meanwhile heat the oil or ghee in another saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and cook them until they start to pop.
- add sliced onion and garlic and saute quickly over fairly high heat until translucent, stirring often.
- add all the spices except salt and saute a moment more.
- remove from heat.
- when the potato mixture is tender, drain it in a colander over the sink.
- reheat the onion and spice mixture, add the potato-spinach mixture, and gently stir fry. Taste and season.
- simmer over low heat about 10 minutes, until the mixture is fairly dry and the spices have been absorbed well