25 March 2009

toad-in-the-hole


by Nigel Slater
my adaptations - no prosciutto ham, colour the sausages first


ingredients

2 free-range eggs

125g/4½oz plain flour

150ml/5fl oz milk mixed with 150ml cold water

1 level tbsp grain mustard

salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 gloster pork sausages

3 tbsp dripping or lard, I used goose fat
  • whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, mustard and seasoning, beating out any little lumps of flour. The consistency should be about that of ordinary double cream, but no thinner
  • rest for 30 minutes in the fridge
  • brown your sausages in a frying pan
  • preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
  • put the dripping or lard in a roasting tin and leave it in the oven until it is smoking
  • pour in the batter - it will sizzle softly in the hot fat - then arrange the sausages in the batter
  • transfer the tin back into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden
here it is after 15 mins, I cannot open the oven door





serve with brown onion & madeira gravy, made with good stock, onions, flour, worcestershire sauce & madeira, strained

and crispy, golden roast potatoes



8 comments:

Anne said...

Looks good, I am yet to make one that either comes out unburnt or raw in the middle!

Gill the Painter said...

or flat as a pancake.
I saw a bad tip on the messageboard to add vinegar.
Whatever you do, don't add vinegar Anne.

Nigeepoo said...

You have a Blog! I found you via the Beeb thread on Gallbladders. I haven't updated my Blog much recently as mum's health is a worry.

Gill the Painter said...

Started it in January, Nigel.
Sorry about your mum though.

I haven't seen your blog before either, & I've added it to my list if you don't mind.
I'll have a peruse later too.

Tracey said...

It´s making my mouth water! I´ve only made this once before but it´s not the same with Spanish longaniza sausages(they aren´t as tasty as British pork sausages!)

Anne said...

Gill - not tried vinegar but will definately stay away! I've also learned not to use the blender, as found 1/2 the mix after cooking still in the bottom of it...

Sam said...

I love toad in the hole, this looks delicious!

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you kindly - I like the lightness of your cycling blog!

Post a Comment