28 March 2009

using Dan Lepard leaven

I'm confused but giving it a good go.

I've fed the leaven 2 days ago: equal parts 150g water to 150g white flour


removed 250g leaven 1 day ago


& added it to 900g room temperature water & 1 kilo flour (300g wholemeal, 700g strong white)
that's a ratio of 1/2: 2 : 2
90% hydration?

put it in the fridge over night


taken it out of the fridge this morning & turned the mass. It's quite sticky but manageable


the confusion?
I'm not sure what to do with it now. I was planning to make bread rolls, and not-hot cross buns, my husband doesn't like sweet things so I just play with idea

to be continued later today ........................

________________________________________________________________

& in the end I made these 2 delicious mill loaves :
http://gillthepainter.blogspot.com/2009/03/dan-lepard-mill-loaf.html




6 comments:

sunflower said...

Morning Gill
How about some English muffins? They are easy and very nice. If you like to do this you will need a bit of yeast as a booster. If you want a recipe let me known. Other ideas maybe pikelets or bagel could be nice too.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Sunflower.
Thank you for the suggestions.
I've split the dough mass into 2 to make it more manageable.

& am kneading it on an oiled surface briefly this morning.

I think I'll have to leave them as loaf shaped today - unless the kneads give the dough more form later on today.

The muffin recipe would be great, for another day. Is it on your blog?

sunflower said...

No the recipe is not posted. I will post it on the blog sometime or I can email you.

Odette said...

Hi Gill - looking good! I like to make a dough that keeps for several days in the fridge to be used as needed - good for all sorts of things depending on the hydration/stiffness of dough.

The starter will also keep for a month or two in the fridge andcome back to life after being refreshed.

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you Odette.
I plan to use starter in EVERYthing now!

Sam said...

Looks good! I can't wait to see what you make with it!

Thanks for adding a link to my blog, I really appreciate it and will do the same back.

Post a Comment