26 May 2009

the artful vegan - cajun crusted tempeh

with lemon caper dill cream and braised collard



One of the easier recipes in the Artful Vegan book, by Eric Tucker.

Recipes provided with his kind permission



Each time I try his recipes, I enjoy this stylish cuisine that is vegan more and more

This one is particularly delicious

Amendments I made,

  1. I did not use soya in the recipe. We use Alpro soya in the painter home, but I can't get along with the flavour when hot or cooked.
  2. I added a tablespoon of tofu aioli to the lemon caper sauce
  3. & I baked the tempeh wedges.

Each stage tasted wonderful in it's own right!

Disclaimer: eating cajun crusted tempeh won't turn you into a vegan


4 recipe components to prepare first up:

recipe for vegetable stock






with recipe for lemon, caper, dill 'cream' sauce


* * * * *



1. make the cajun crusted tempeh



for 2 people, combine
3 tablesp course cornmeal, 1 teasp paprika, 1 clove puréed garlic, a grating shallot, 1 teasp fresh thyme & 1 teasp fresh oregano, 1/2 teasp chilli powder, grating nutmeg, 1/4 teasp cayenne

for 6 people, combine
1 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup paprika, 1 clove puréed garlic, a grating shallot, 1 teasp fresh thyme & 1 teasp fresh oregano, 1 teasp chilli powder, grating nutmeg, 1/2 teasp cayenne

reserve 2 tablesp & put the aioli in another bowl.

cut tempeh blocks across into wedge triangles, dredge well in the dry cornmeal mix, douse in the wet aioli, then once more back into the dry cornmeal mix.

bake for 20 mins turning once or twice @180

2. then make/ warm through if already made the lemon caper dill cream sauce

stir through the 2 tablespoons of reserved aioli

3. make braised collard green - cabbage here

sauté gently a shallot, add 2 cloves crushed garlic
add them to a baking dish with chopped greens, 1/2 cup vegetable stock, 2 teasp balsamic vinegar and bake until tender

or sauté till tender for approx 15 mins

4. to serve

place lemon caper dill cream on the plate
fan 2 triangles of tempeh on top
(dot some aioli if you have some left)
serve the greens on the side



12 comments:

Odette said...

Hi Gill - I love tempeh, and this recipe looks really tasty. The lemon, caper, dill 'cream' sauce seems almost a tartar sauce so maybe UNoHoo will go for it too. He surprises me sometimes when he likes things I'm expecting him not to!

Is Alpro the soy milk you use?

Gill the Painter said...

This book does vegan 'cream' very well Odette.
I was surprised, the lemon caper thing really is as creamy as it looks.

We've tried a lot of soya milks cold, but none cooks at all well, either for taste or curdling.

Let me know if you want to try it please.

Kraxpelax said...

Does God exist? Have a look at Vagabond.

Noncommercial personal advertisement!

Blog tips:

http://winmir.blogspot.com/ My Philosophy.

http://singleswingle.blogspot.com/ My Poetry.

http://screenfonds.blogspot.com/ My Art.

- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Peter - just having a look at your poetry

Jess said...

Looks good, not really made much vegan food. Is tempeh a bit like tofu?

Gill the Painter said...

Good to see you Jess.
Yes tempeh is similar, but it's texture is like physically like corn, but tastes of mushroom to me.

I was pleasantly surprised by it - in frozen form anyway.

Tracey said...

Hi Gill! Have been meaning to comment for awhile! Haven´t really experimented much with vegan food but these recipes look delicious...will have to try them out although think it´ll be hard to find some of the ingredients in Spain!

Gill the Painter said...

ha ha. You might struggle a tad.

veganefcliz said...

I'm making this tomorrow, with the pecan dirty rice, so just popped back to have a look. Did you marinate and bake the tempeh first? I can't see whether you did or not.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Liz
I used the baking method as per page 211.
It certainly didn't need marinating beforehand, but I covered and basted the defrosted tempeh in the ingredients.

I remember there was still a little of the sauce left unabsorbed after 1hr30, so popped them on the hob for no more than 5 mins to absorb the lot.

Choclette said...

It's good to see someone using tempeh. We love tempeh. CT used to make it and it was far better than anything we've been able to buy. Unfortunately time is now more of an issue so he hasn't made any for a long time. This dish looks a good one.

Gill the Painter said...

Eric Tucker's dishes are rather fussy, so you have to set by some time to make them.

But this one is worth it.
He has a signature vegan dish that is the best meal I've ever made.

I really must blog it for you, as it's not here yet.

Post a Comment