10 April 2009

home-made live greek style yoghurt

ingredients

2 pints full fat milk
120 mil live culture from previous batch - or carton live natural yoghurt







retain the whey for bread making

if you want greek style cheese for spreading on your morning toast, I use this recipe

  • stir 1/2 teasp salt into the thick yoghurt
  • strain for 2 days till quite firm
  • roll into even sized rounds of cheese
  • mix 1 tablsp fresh chopped rosemary, 1 tablesp fresh thyme and/ or greek oregano plus 2 tablesp dried chopped chillies with 1/2 pint olive oil
  • place cheese balls into a glass jar, pour over the olive oil mixture
  • & store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks

serve spread on warm toast, with a little of the olive oil flavour






3 comments:

Sam said...

I've made yoghurt before but I've never tried straining it. I love Greek yoghurt so I'll definitely be trying this!

Margaret said...

I've never tried straining the yogurt but now I have seen this posting there is no excuse!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Margaret, Sam.

My husband likes the creamy greek yoghurt & I like the cheeses.

I've accidentally forgotten the salt in the yoghurt mix, & it was dreadful.
It does need it.

You can cheat and strain of a large tub of Yeo Valley natural yoghurt to see if you like the results

Post a Comment