15 July 2009

Bread! Bread! Bread! - plain pitta breads

Bread!
I just like saying it now.



& Dan Lepard's perfect pitta bread recipe is just that.
Taken from his Guardian Guide to Baking, Nov 2007, I've taken his yeast version and used leaven



ingredients

100g plain flour
400g strong white flour
120g white leaven (or Dan's recipe uses a teasp of dried yeast)
325mil room temperature water
1 teasp salt
1 glug sunflower oil

  • add the water to the leaven and stir
  • mix the flours and salt & add into the leaven, pour over the oil
  • & bring together well with your hands
  • cover & rest for 10 minutes
  • knead in the bowl (unlike Dan's usual method on an oiled surface) 10 seconds x 3 times, at 10 minute intervals - 1 ~ 2 ~ 3
  • cover & rest for 45 minutes
  • cut your dough into 10 pieces each weighing 100g
  • shape into balls and rest on a floured board for 15mins, turn oven on to max
  • flour your work surface well and roll out your balls 2 or 3 at a time, to pitta shapes 4mm deep
  • place on a baking tray & bake on max for 4 mins till they puff up well, but do not colour




  • wrap in a cloth to keep them soft
  • freshly roll 2 or 3 more & bake for 4 mins




  • cool your pittas in their cloth - ready for grilling, griddling, barbecuing or freezing
  • when required, grill either side for 2 minutes

11 comments:

Debs said...

They look good (as always) Gill.

Anne said...

They look really good, I will have to experiment with this leaven business...

Gill the Painter said...

I can't work out a way to send you some both Debs & Anne. It's far too frothy.

I gave some to Luca and Elisa when I met them in London & they are well away with leaven baking.

I'd love to send you some so you can try it. Leaven makes lovely bread, but you can still use yeast.

Luca said...

Those look wonderful Gill! I shall make some tomorrow. I'm loving this bread business and can't think why I held back before...

Go for it Anne - Leaven is easy to deal with and a lot of FUN!

Gill the Painter said...

Good to see you, Luca.

I've tried them at 120g each, but the 100g ones are just right.

Lush said...

Looking good......
That bread of yours will soon be making itself....!

Elisabeth said...

Brilliant Gill! You are doing so fabulously well with your baking. I'm tearing my hair out because I didn't bring a jar of leaven from Brussels to Paris. Slapping lazy handies, that'll teach me! I wanna go home & bake!

Gill the Painter said...

Morning Lush & Elisa

Thank you kindly. & the breadmaking will be there for you another day when you get home.

I'm reliably informed you can buy almost half decent loaves in France to make up for your loss.

Luca said...

I made them this afternoon and they look fabuloso Gill! They puffed right up and are now wrapped in a cloth for later on when some will be further cooked to have with supper.

Odette said...

Your pittas are perfectos, Gill! I usually make mine on the stove top using a yeast recipe, but your oven ones look a lot simpler than I thought they'd be. Impressed that you made them with leaven - that's a first for me. Must try that sometime.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Luca, I'm pleased they worked.

& Odette.
I've tried jiggling with the recipe a little.
But it doesn't improve upon anything, so this is the one I shall stick with - unless something comes along to better what I can do.

I hope you like them if you get to try them.

Post a Comment