4 August 2009

no-knead bread in a pot

via youtube

I might be the only person in Christendom, nay beyond, who hasn't heard of this bread.

The fella in the vid claims it as his own, but it has been around for yonks, I think. Anyway, Hickybank at the BBC messageboards brought it to my attention last week, so I thought I'd give it a punt

but in the back of my mind, thinking it to be a right dud!




ingredients

3 metric cups strong white flour
1/4 teasp dried Allinsons yeast
3/4 teasp salt
1 5/8 cup room temperature water

I'll have to check my conversions, as my mind wondered whilst pressing the digi-scales, but that's:
strong white flour (515g), 1/4 teasp yeast, 3/4 teasp salt. cups water (340g)

Now then.
That's not much yeast is it.






bring it all together quickly with your hands




rest, covered, overnight - 15 hours here




on a clean, oiled surface, fold your stretchy, stringy dough




shape into a boule & rest seam-side uppermost, in a heavily floured t-cloth and bowl
for one hour




turn out onto baking parchment, seam-side down




lift into a suitable baking cocotte

lid on
& bake at 220 for 25 minutes (amended baking instructions here to bake as per Dan Lepard's bread in a pot - I'm sure the original method would burn bread)




turn the temperature down to 180, and bake with the lid off for 15 minutes further
& rest on the oven bars directly whilst the oven cools for 5 - 10 minutes



Not a bad loaf, not bad at all.
It really is very good, but you don't have any control over the end shape really

I give it 9/10 as the salt is way too high at 1.5 teaspoons. I've amended the recipe






Next time I'll make it with leaven!

Well
that next time is with leaven.
I subbed 100g of white leaven for the 1/4 teasp yeast.

The result the following morning was very slack. Maybe I used too much.

Nevertheless, with a bit of man handling - I've shaped it into a boule to rest, scooped it into the pot & baked it:




It's certainly a "better" bread for the leaven

11 comments:

Debs said...

Hi Gill, I've seen this recipe before and was very sceptical. It's nice to get a review from someone I know. Happy baking. You're becoming our bread queen LOL

Gill the Painter said...

Ha ha ha.
I wish.

Anne said...

I can't believe its no knead at all! sounds perfect for lazier days, though I do quite like kneading dough, good stress relief!

It does look rather delicious, will have to get some of that yeast in - I've only got the fast action sachets.

Gill the Painter said...

Hello Anne.

Just use that yeast you have. It will be fine as you only need 1/4 teaspoon.

I'm making 2 loaves today - but using leaven to see how the no knead method makes out.

Odette said...

I'm going to have to try that pot method, y'know. I almost bought a really cheapo brand new thin stainless steel stock pot for $5 from a yard sale a while back and thought, nah, it's a piece of crap - wish I had, now.

Gill the Painter said...

Darn tooting shame about that bargain pot, Odette.

I've just tried this method with leaven & it works extremely well too.
My softer to work with, which complicated things on the shaping.

But it tastes wonderful. I've updated the entry.

Elisabeth said...

I'm going to give that a whirl today Gill, starting tonight. I unearthed a Le Creuset pot of the suitable size. Can't think how I would manage in Paris without your blog!! ;)

Gill the Painter said...

marvellous.

Just one word of warning, when resting the boule seamside up in a teacloth, be sure that cloth is very heavily floured.

Good luck.

Elisabeth said...

Thank you, will do!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to try this today! I'll report back tomorrow.
Best regards, Tatihou

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Tatihou.
You'll be making it more than once I should think.
It's a clever little recipe.

Post a Comment