17 December 2009

oriental style dark plum sauce




After trawling the internet for recipes, I thought I'd have a go at making the Chinese dark plum sauce you have with crispy aromatic duck, to use up the plums that have been sitting on my kitchen side for a week

A hybrid of several ideas on the web, this is what I've come up with, and it's pretty much the taste you get in restaurants

Why not have an experiment to recreate this fine sauce!


ingredients

muslin wrap of 2 star anise, 1 teasp ground sichuan pepper, 1/2 teasp dried red chillies
I didn't have, but would have added fresh ginger and 5 spice
1/2 teasp sea salt
300 mil rice vinegar, plus the juice of one orange
1 garlic clove
about 1 cup Chinese dark soy sauce
about 3 tablesp muscovado sugar
some honey
1 level teasp arrowroot

20 fresh plums

bring the vinegar to boil with the salt and the halved plums, add the muslin mix and simmer for 30 mins
remove the bag and press through a chinoise
place the puree in another pan, add the arrowroot, a good load of soy sauce & some sugar with a little honey to taste, whisk well and heat the sauce mix
add more soy, more sugar, more soy, sugar - honey ................. reducing until you have a thick dark plum sauce balancing the taste just as you expect

not too salty, not to vinegary nor too sweet.



cool and bottle in sterilized jars.



6 comments:

Odette said...

That looks wonderful, Gill. I think I'm going to make some of that - so much nicer than the very generic stuff we get around here. I don't have any plums, though and none around here, so something else perhaps or wait until I see some plums! Lovely thought, though - duck and plum sauce. Might have to ...!

Debs said...

Yum, this sounds delish. The ginger & five spice would be a fab addition too. Save some for me LOL.

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Gill, that does look delicious. I've been thinking we should add star anise to ours next time! What sort of plums did you use - sweet ones, or sour ones?

Gill the Painter said...

These were sweet ones here, Celia.

Kavey said...

This looks great, do you have any rough idea on weight of plums. Plums so very variable in size...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kavey from wifi in Catalunya.

They were the larger purple plums you get, but I cannot remember their weight.

I plan to make this again with exact measurements when I get home.

Gill.

Post a Comment