27 December 2009

who's going to see the Queen on Christmas Day!






starts with my turning on the Christmas lights






and our salmon, scrambled egg and champagne breakfast



















a bit of exercise as we walk down to the open air Lido to watch the swimmers dive in pink and come out blue



and walking back we see a song thrush (see arrow): it's a good omen, no?




I cook Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's excellent brisket for 5 hours - just look at those juices!



the recipe is for 2 beefs, so it's served with his medium done (should be rare but I rested it for too long) sirloin, grated horseradish yorkshires, sprouts and goose fat potatoes












followed by Hugh's excellent pear and almond cake












then we settle down at 8pm to open our gifts, I only dropped the one hint for these, honest


the Dos Hermanos recommended the Spanish cook book in their blog recently

and then to watch a French film Le scaphandre et le papillon, not one to cheer you up now, but it's jolly good



I hope your celebrations were as relaxed and steady as ours

3 comments:

Lucinda said...

Hi Gill,

Merry Christmas to you and Tony.

It sounds like you had a fabulous day plus excellent food and presents. I look forward to reading about the recipes you've tried.

Swimming on Christmas Day seems like an exercise in masochism to me - mind you various members of my family used to break the ice at Easter and swim... Not me though! Although I did once swim across the Serpentine late at night but that's not for telling here!!

The beef looks wonderful!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Lucinda
& a warm Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I find myself most impressed you've been into the Serpentine ;)
I however, swim like a cat in a bath, so you wouldn't get me in there under any circumstances.

Elisabeth said...

Hi Gill: what a lovely Christmas day you and Tony had! The two beefs indeed look wonderful. I wouldn't mind preparing them for G. who is a carnivore as you know. We had oysters, smoked salmon, stuffed quail, celeriac & potato puree, salad, vast amount of cheeses, and very rich creamy tart with raspberries.
Just looking at that pool gives me the shivers! Brrrr!

Post a Comment