30 March 2010

Dan Lepard at mumsnet and his easy hot cross buns

Lovely!





Everyone had an invite to join Dan & David over at mumsnet for a live webchat and a joint cookery experience yesterday morning.
If you've never participated before, what can I say - you should!

When Dan got the proceedings under-way by starting his journey to the mumsnet kitchen at 07:30, a few of us realised we'd better get our skates on, and started to prep.
For the next couple of hours, we measured, mixed, shaped, decorated, took photos & baked together - all at differing phases in the hot cross bun process.

We became quite a community in our HXB world.

So next time you see a Dan Lepard bake-along, get yourselves in and have a blast.

His recipe for easy hot cross buns is here
  • melted butter in hot milk, yeast in camomile tea fresh ginger & egg in milk mix, mix with flour

  • speedy knead and fold, divided into 12, and shaped

  • paste mix for the X inc butter, into a piping bag, and straight across the buns for the oven



my tweeks

- replaced the water with camomile tea infused overnight
- sultanas & fresh ginger for the fruit - never liked mixed peel
- 30g muscovado sugar used







11 comments:

Margaret said...

What a great idea and with the great man himself, no less.
The hot cross buns look very professional, I am afraid M&S are making mine for me this year!!

azelia said...

what great looking hot-cross buns, but not surprising really...you're the Queen of Bread ;-)

zeb said...

I made my mumsnet buns on Sunday, but I did send Dan a pic by email and he approved them, made me v happy! I think it is a brilliant and foolproof recipe that one, lovely post and I like the idea of camomile tea very much, did it give the buns a tinge of colour? Sounds just great - Zeb

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Margaret.
Dan's great and easy going, he should do more of these - although I doubt they are that relaxing the other end.

Hi Azelia
What a compliment. Thank you.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Zeb
Funny thing putting tea in.
I could taste it as I knew it was present, but it wasn't distinctive.

Not like vanilla would be :)

It didn't affect the colour at all.

Anne said...

I saw the invite but couldn't take part as was working :(

The hot cross buns look so yummy! Really like the sound of adding the ginger too as love the stuff!

Zeb said...

I wish I had joined in now, I had a read of all your comments as you were baking - sounded like you had a fantastic time. Where did they post the pictures?

PS the vanilla situation is under control, I have given loads away and they do keep for a long time if you wrap and store them airtight..

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Anne and Zeb.

The other pictures are on the mumsnet posts, on the person's user ID.

Dan's himself are here: http://twitpic.com/photos/MumsnetTowers

Tracey said...

Can I have one,Gill, they look wonderful?!!!! I didn´t have any Hot Cross Buns this Easter.I´ll have to have a go at making them myself next Easter!

Choclette said...

What a lovely idea to put tea in instead of water - the possibilities are now endless!

With my practical hat on, how do you do a bake along? Do you have the computer in the kitchen with you?

Gill the Painter said...

Oh it's fun

Laptop in the kitchen, camera at the ready, and depending on the originator's software you either refresh the conversation yourself for your instructions
or during his Guardian bake-along for his Dundee cake, their software updates your screen when the next stage comes up.

During that one there was a lady in Australia up at 3am to participate.
SallyBR and Zeb did it too

Post a Comment