28 March 2010

how to make Dan Lepard's tiger bread



this is a yeast bread bake, with a little sourdough added on my part.
And once again, Dan Lepard has shown us how to do it on his forum

they're making it on Madrid Tiene Miga too.

so I followed the recipe in his Exceptional Breads book, and have produced a light, interesting loaf that is quite different to anything I've produced before.

My husband prefers the weight and texture result given by the sourdoughs so it won't become a regular, but it's certainly one to impress your friends


And for Dan's tiger topping, I experimented with 2 flours, but the semolina flour crust was the only one that reacted to the yeast
ingredients

150ml water 100g semolina flour 1 tsp yeast 1 tbsp oil

mix ingredients and leave for 2 hours, you'll have a fermenting paste, which you spread on your risen loaf 30mins before baking







4 comments:

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Gill, I tried making this loaf yesterday too, but the rising times were crazy - the sponge rose like mad within about 15 minutes, and the topping was way thicker than it should have been. Having said that, it was absolutely delicious, and we adored the hard crunchy shell! I used coarse semolina - am now thinking of adapting the technique to my sourdough breads.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Celia.
I'll be adapting it for sourdough too, that's a good call.

Luca said...

Hi Gill,

That bread looks spectacular!

Pass the ham and mustard please!

Gill the Painter said...

Ideal for tangy sandwiches Lucinda!