4 April 2010

apple tart "maman blanc" by Raymond Blanc





I had high hopes for Raymond Blanc's apple tart "Maman Blanc" after praise for it on the Beeb Messageboards.
I probably would never have got round to making this one, if a baker called Sue L hadn't brought it to my attention again.

So I gave it a whirl yesterday, following the recipe exactly, no tweaks


Looks good doesn't it



I got along famously with the method, the rolling out of the pastry worked a dream.
His use of one teaspoon of water in the mix keeps the casing crisp, firm and buttery for the final dish.
And the bottom is dry and cooked well, with a pleasing caramel layer between the base and the custard




But I have one problem with this tart. It's too butter rich for me, I just didn't enjoy that taste in the pastry, and if anything it was unbalanced in there.

And my husband asked if Raymond really serves it in his restaurant, I don't know if he does or doesn't.

A nice enough tart, faultless methodology, but it doesn't deliver as much as I had expected.








5 comments:

Kavey said...

It sure looks beautiful!
I saw on the series that he also invested a lot of time trying out a lot of different types of apples before choosing which ones worked best for each apple dish so maybe that would have affected balance?

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Kavey!
Great to see you here.

This tart had braeburn in it, and yes, I remember his care in choosing the right apple.
Pippin I think was THE one on the day.

Gill the Painter said...

pressed publish instead of preview.

I think I'd have to take out some of the butter in the pastry and sub another fat source for our house.

I was very impressed with the ease of the custard bake, Kavey.

Anonymous said...

I would love to try this, I found your blog while searching for a recipe for custard tart. Could you possibly post a link to the recipe please?

Gill the Painter said...

Welcome Anonymous commenter.

Raymond's recipe with technique is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/appletartmamanblanc_93268

Post a Comment