30 June 2010

100g sourdough becomes 70g fluffy dinner rolls










With Dan Lepard's quick knead method, you can indeed create soft fluffy sourdough, with a crisp, flaky crust







  

 
ingredients  

120g white leaven @ 100%
350g water
500g strong white flour
7g fine sea salt
20g ev olive oil


  • in the above order, add the ingredients to a bowl
  • bring together lightly with your hands
  • then knead for 10 seconds only, three times over 30 minutes


each time your dough gets firmer and more velvety
  • rest for one hour




  • until you have proof of aeration, so that it has risen by less than double, about 80%





  • weigh your risen dough, mine was 996g, and divide into 100g pieces
  • shape your 100g pieces into a boule, & place on a floured baking tray
  • cover, and rest for 25 mins
  • heat your oven to max with a tray in the base, turn down to 220
  • add cold water to your tray to create steam, & bake your rolls for 30 mins
  • turn the temperature to 190 and bake your rolls for an additional 10 mins



  • cool on a rack 
 your 100g dough balls now weigh a light 70g



Although this is a simple enough sourdough recipe, I've submitted it to Wild Yeast, as I feel confident of the light results and method.

It's my first submission!


For more Yeast Spotting submissions, click this link

13 comments:

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Wow, I'm surprised they lost so much weight in the oven! Your flour and salt weight alone in the mix was 567g, yet your bread looks perfectly light and tender! My bread usually only loses about 10%, and I'm using a higher hydration dough. I wonder what the science behind all that is..

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning, Celia.

I only weighed them, as they seemed so light when I put them on the cooling tray.

We could have a competition to see who produces the lightest sourdough roll from a 100g doughball ;)

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sending these to YeastSpotting!

Choclette said...

These look lovely - crisp outside and soft inside gets my vote. As I'm not in the least scientific when baking - bung it together and hop it works is more my style, what does 100% hydration mean when talking about the leaven?

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning Choclette.

Different hydrations are used for different breads.
I use 100%, as the numbers keep me sane.
Your 100g starter made up of equal amounts water to flour.
100g starter, 200g water, 200g flour. 1:2:2

Ciabatta for example favours lower hydration, eg 80% leaven
The water is four fifths of the flour
So you would feed your starter 160g water to the 200g flour.

;)

Joanna said...

So does that make a 75 percent hydration dough, overall? The high temperature will give you the crisp crust I guess and if you didn't steam the oven and that was all that was in the oven at the time, it would have been pretty dry in there... but I am no bread scientist either.... They look perfect Gill :)

Joanna said...

No I got that completely wrong, because you put steam in. Doh. It must be the long bake time then! I missed that bit, note to self, read people's blog posts properly the first time, Joanna.

Gill the Painter said...

LOL.
last week I went to "top up" the steam vat at the bottom of the oven,
and threw the water all over the bread by accident with my expert Herr Flick movement.

Nice result too.

Joanna said...

Can we see a video of the Herr Flick movement please? You make me howl with laughter sometimes :D

Gill the Painter said...

The problem with the HF movement, is when you open the oven door, automatically you avert your gaze for the hot steam
hence the inaccurate "lob".

The crispness is down to the all white-ness of the bread I think Joanna.

Choclette said...

Thanks for hydration info Gill. Still not sure I've quite got it - me and maths were never the best of friends. If you keep your starter going (which I do) how can you change the hydration?

Mimi said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe, the rolls look stupendous!

Rach86 said...

Hi bread lovers,

I’ve recently started working with Sourdoughs International and I’m learning the difference between using authentic wild yeast and commercial yeast (bakers yeast) the taste and appearance is so different it is absolutely amazing! I totally recommend that you check it out at www.sourdo.com, EnJoY!!

Post a Comment