2 June 2010

market trader for the day

I paid a fortune for those teeth  (I'm bottom left, in front of Lella's pictures)




On Bank Holiday Monday, the Suffolks in Montpellier is closed to traffic for their annual street fair, and peppered with bunting and trade stands from the local businesses, antique shops, our Fine Art School, food stalls, the local kitchen shop .............


& Lella and I have a market stall on the corner to expose our art work to the locals.
We've been painting little gems for some time in preparation, specifically trying to capture what this audience of street wanderers would want ................. and I can reveal, it's Marmite cards.


They sold like mad on the day, there was something about them that had so many stopping and musing about their love or their hate of the product.  Or how much their father, daughter or friends loved it or hated it.

I'm pleased I worked so hard now on my cards, as it brought more attention than the paintings I had produced


  
Here are some of the sketches and paintings we have on show, I'm to the right, Lella is to the left.

The portrait that you see here down in the bottom left is of Conrad, the son of the shop owner of Capability Brown, a garden design business in the Suffolks.
I take the painting down to his strawberry and cream stand a little later as I'd given it to him, and I have a few visitors coming back my way to find Gill Cox, the lady who'd painted it.
It really does look like him mind.




Here, have a book mark



















Lella's bought a lovely new top from Jigsaw, and we muse together on the day that I should have bought the same blouse too, pretty isn't it

 

And I stand next to Tristram Stuart, author of Waste.
He explains his approach to food to me, about waste and conservation of energy in the cooking of food.
& his fruit sorbet product sells extremely well.  The cone vessel that the natural, bright ice cream is served in is made from dehydrated fruit pulp and very tasty it is too.  Far better than the usual cone you get. 


I reckon I could recreate that at home with a bit of thought.  I'd have to make them in the dying warmth of my oven or bbq, in concert with Tristram's waste brief.

And then my baking friend Joanna at Zeb Bakes arrives.  
We chat together with her charming husband Brian on her way up the fair, and we chat together again on her way back down the fair, just as my husband Tony arrives on the scene.

Lucky to get this shot without our lips blurring.





& how kind, Joanna buys me a present to bake my sourdough loaves in. 

I do so appreciate it when a sticky label lifts off in a oner.




And after a busy, sunny day at the Suffolks fair, it's time to go home.
Lella's sold 5 paintings,  I've sold 2, so this lifestyle will never make me rich, but I wouldn't mind living the dream after all.


We pack away our works and by 6:30 I'm sitting in the local pub with a cold foaming pint of lager talking over the moments with Tony.
I've got a Zizzi voucher in my handbag too, which runs out on this very day, so we put the planned steak sandwich on hold, and pop out for a bogof pizza rustica.


A fine end to the day.

19 comments:

Kavey said...

Loved reading about your day!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Kavey.
I know you are very good at this sort of thing. You've had experience in Covent Garden no less ... deep bow of respect.

I certainly loved the day. I'd have to rethink what I had to offer the public, probably something foodie, and those cards would make more sense.

Debs said...

Well done you. Sounds like you had a fab day & a successful one too.

Love marmite.

Gill the Painter said...

Deb, the word marmite is banned from our studio. Lella was fit to burst every time she walked up to someone interested in our stall and they said "Marmite, marmite".

Elisabeth said...

What a great busy and successful day you had Gill! And wow, what a great photograph of you in the paper! That is what I call good exposure, well done!

Gill the Painter said...

The exposure was great for me Elisa.
I wish there were a way to bottle the warm comments I received during the day.
People are so generous with their praise, it's quite the opposite to what you'd imagine if you're nervous and frightened of public exposure.

Lucinda said...

So glad the day was so productive and such fun Gill. All that hard work paid off! You certainly deserved a nice cold beer at the end of the day.

Joanna said...

You and Lella looked like you did this all the time, cool as can be :) It was lovely seeing you having fun in the hustle and bustle and smoke from the sizzling burnt offerings two stalls down x Joanna

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

First and foremost, the teeth were worth every penny, Gill! :)

Thank you for the photos - it was lovely to get a glimpse of what was obviously a most enjoyable day for you. And to see your most fine art!

You and Jo talk? Hard to believe.. ;-)

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Lucinda.
Thank you, yes it was worth it.

Joanna.
Did we really? We get along very well although we and our paintings are very different.
I must say, I don't think I'll eat a burger for a while, not that I ever crave them anyway. Cough cough.

Hi Celia.
It was a different sort of art we worked towards Celia. Smaller and bright for me.

I was very impressed with the stall we were given, it was very easy to set up just as we wanted it, and to work with during our day.

I can recommend it to anyone.

Lush said...

Worth every penny those gnashers....you look gorgeous babe...in fact.....

GorgeousGrilly!!

Looks like a great day - wonderfull when things come together isn't it?!

I'll have a closer read later on....Tata for now!

Lush said...

Right then - had a better squint now - great reading!
What a great atmosphere and I love that your cards sold well - another door opening perhaps?

There's Strong footfall at those events - you'll soon become a well known 'Face'.

I think selling two paintings at this kind of event is good going - people are generally browsing aren't they - or eating!

Most importantly you enjoyed it and had a good time.

Here's to the next one!

Joanna said...

You aren't going to get rich that way! Thank you so much! :) I will send them to all the patrons of the arts that I know heehehehe

Gill the Painter said...

My pleasure.
That was quick too, I only posted them yesterday at 4-ish.

Choclette said...

Good to see what you were up to, although I did have a sneak preview on Joanna's blog. Sounds like you had a great day and you did well to sell any paintings at all in this rather difficult climate. You're paintings are great, keep at it and maybe you'll manage a living from them soon (ish)!

Tracey said...

Sounds like a great day was had by all and well done on selling a lot of your cards!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Choclette & Tracey
Why thank you for the kind comments.

Times are rather difficult aren't they. I've got lots of ideas for paintings, so I can keep doing what I do at least.

Thank you.

azelias kitchen said...

Oh Gill what a nice photo of you in the paper! If only I was there I would have bought your workshop painting as I really like that one.

You look like you had a good day...

Gill the Painter said...

It was a good day, Azelia.
Thank goodness it wasn't this weekend, it would have been a wash out.

Post a Comment