14 June 2010

rich dark gingernuts




Tweaked a little to suit my husband's savoury tooth, mixed in a food processor, and I baked these at 150 deg, but I see Celia's recipe is actually 150 on fan setting
These biscuits are easy, light, bitter with the molasses and truly delicious


ingredients  

375g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 inches grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon allspice
a little black pepper
20g dark brown sugar
175g salted butter, softened
1 egg
30g molasses

  • one at a time, put all of the ingredients together in a food processor with a plastic blade
  • bring together into a ball and chill in the fridge for 30 mins to 1 hour
  • roll into small balls
  • place evenly on baking parchment on a baking tray
  • flatten the tops noticeably


  • and bake at 150 deg for 30 mins, moving your biscuits around periodically for even colouring

  • Cool on a rack

7 comments:

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Gill, I love what you've done with these! A completely different recipe now, with about 15% of the original sugar content, I'm sure they're much healthier! And the fresh ginger would be a lovely addition!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Celia.
It's a lovely recipe you've given me.
There was a time when I wouldn't bake cakes or biscuits, but all I do is remove the sugar, so I can enjoy making these creations.

Most things still work well although it can change them somewhat.

Odette said...

Those look wonderful, Gill and Tom agrees! Are they like gingerbread? Lovely!

Gill the Painter said...

Howdy Odette.
They are crisp biscuits, and not cake like at all.

& very light too. They were crisp in the tin 4 days after making, which impressed me no end.

joanna said...

That looks like a good choice of biscuit to give the 'savoury' treatment to! Lovely!

Choclette said...

These look very nice indeed. Have you tried rapadura instead of sugar at all? it's dried cane juice, meant to be healthier than sugar and you don't need as much.

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning Joanna and Choclette

It's funny when you reduce sugar in sweets, they are still sort of sweet but in different ways, just not sugar sweet if that makes sense.

Rapadura?
Nope, I've not heard of it either.
We have an excellent natural grocery store a street away, I bet they have it in there.
Thank you.

Post a Comment