22 July 2010

Dan Lepard's Handmade Loaf - white leaven @ pg 28


Unlike the simple title & brief ingredients, for me this is not as easy a loaf as it may seem, requiring good shaping, and that long proving time needs a bit of judgment 

A few people on the Beeb food messageboard have tried this recipe but seemingly are struggling with the wetness of the process, & are not wholly sold by the results which can be achieved.

So let's see if we can convince them on wetter mixes, the power of shaping, and the need to get air into the dough

You've got the book!  You don't need the recipe from me.

I've got my 200g leaven fed at 80%, which is fine for ciabatta styles I believe.
Well I think it's 80

100g leaven, 200g water, 250g white flour, @ 1: 2: 2.5


leaven at 80%, 325g water to 500g flour
a wetter mix
bring together briefly
brief kneads according to the recipe & rest

I shortened the proves, for the warm temps
first prove rest

bubbles and aeration on the surface, good sign

shape into 2 loaves, firm and bubbly
one into a tin

one free form
risen after 3 hours


ready for the oven and puffing up already
2 delicious loaves from one recipe
with a crunchy form to the crust
sour taste coming through nicely, due to the longer proves
light & airy from that wet dough and those shapings

9 comments:

Kavey said...

They look great!

Elisabeth said...

Perfect looking bread Gill, as per usual! I have not made any in a while. I think I shall activate some leaven that is in the freezer and give it another go. You know I'm terrible with the shaping! Thank you for posting about the process.

Choclette said...

So why one with holes and one without do you suppose? Both look good of course.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Kavey
& Elisa.

Thank you.
I can still smell the bread this morning as I walk into the kitchen.
But it's on it's last day now, so time to bake another loaf.

Gill the Painter said...

Morning Choclette.
I've been sending leaven to a couple of people.

& one of the difficult things to grasp at first is the importance of shaping, and getting that air in.

That ciabatta one with the holes, has a lot of surface area for the lively aeration to force through, and expand outwards when exposed to oven temperatures.
That water in there too, it being a wet dough, produces a softer, lighter crumb for your bread.

The tin loaf, is constrained in its box, and the heat is more controlled too.
So the air & water in there doesn't work on the bread in the same way.

That's the theory I have anyway. :)

Do you have leaven, Choclette? Are you a sourdough baker?
Next Question.
If not, would you like some?

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Grilly, look at dem holes!!

Gorgeous loaves, and you're right, that recipe is a patience test..beeep...there goes the timer, fold the dough again...beeep...and again....now wait...beeep...hmmm, is it risen enough now? Was my kitchen at the right temperature?

But the end result is a truly magnificently flavoured bread, and it's all worth if for that moment when the dough is fully ripe and feels positively alive to the touch...

Celia

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Celia.
You're absolutely right how you describe it. I thought the prove was far too long.
So I'm pleased to be proved wrong about that.

Next little job is to malt some grains.

Choclette said...

Gill, thank you for the offer. I am indeed a sourdough baker - rye sourdough. I tried making my own leaven many years ago from wild yeasts and it was way too sour and put me off trying again. But I went on a fantastic Andrew Whitley course in November last year and not only baked a couple of different sourdoughs but got to take back some of his ancient leavens too. The wheat one fell by the wayside as I just don't really have the time or space in the kitchen to do the kneading required, but my good old rye is so easy, just mix it up, put it in the tin, leave to rise and bake - no fuss, no mess and fits into a busy work schedule. I do get very hungry, however, when looking at all the lovely breads you and Joanna bake.

Gill the Painter said...

Ah-HA.
another sourdough workshop person.
I'd love to go on another one, Choclette.

Post a Comment