26 October 2010

chana dal

 

Doesn't this chana dhal over at Celia's blog look amazing: figjamandlimecordial

So when Tony and I had a deep, long discussion about eating fewer meat based meals, I thought of chana dal immediately

I'd saved a conversation some time ago by Raja about a Bengali version of the dish, and based on that, this is the warming, pleasant version from the Painter house, non-authentic I'm sure







ingredients  


chana dal, I used yellow split peas
water to soak
tomatoes, half a tin
toasted, ground cumin coriander and black mustard seeds
fresh chilli
fresh coriander
1 teasp thick curry paste, vindaloo
turmeric
garlic
coconut milk

soak the chana dal in water for 2hrs30 at least
blitz the above ingredients to a paste and gently fry for a couple of minutes



add tomatoes, the dal and the water
simmer gently, covered for 1hr30, or until it is cooked 



to finish, add a little fragrant coconut milk and fresh coriander leaves



serve with freshly made naan bread

12 comments:

joanna said...

Have I missed the naan bread recipe somewhere? I love chana dal, this version looks scrumptious.

Sam said...

This is exactly what I want to eat now it's got so cold outside, it looks delicious!

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you Sam.

Hi Joanna.
It's been a while since I blogged the naan recipe.
I'll type it up here (as a pdf printable file).

Debs said...

Yum, yum, yum. What more can I say? LOL

PS. Barbara (Peladilla) and I are meeting in Malaga City for lunch very soon. Shame you can't join us!

Lucinda said...

That looks delicious Gill and absolutely what is needed at the minute. I'm very keen to cut down on meat in my meals and this looks like something the meat guzzlers will appreciate a lot!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Debs.
Have a great time with Barbara - tell her to kiss Calle Manrique for me!

Luca
Totally vegan, so you pass on many levels

Choclette said...

Authentic or not it looks delicious. I so love dhal of any description. Don't get to have it very often though as it plays havoc with CTs system :(

Gill the Painter said...

That's a shame.
Still, it can be deemed a treat when you do it, Choclette.

celia said...

Oooh, Gill, thank you! I bought two more bags of chana dal at the markets recently, and have been looking for more recipes. I love that this one is more like a real curry - I'd probably serve it on rice! (PS. thanks for the shoutout! :))

Celia x

Gill the Painter said...

We're not rice eaters in our house. We tend to serve everything just as they are.
Even those hot-hot curries or chillies.

Anne said...

I love dal/ dhal! It looks delicious and I have all the ingredients in the house for a change...shame have already planned tonights dinner as rather fancy this now!

Anonymous said...

I’m gone to convey my little brother, that he should
also pay a visit this weblog on regular basis to take updated from latest
reports.
Here is my webpage : Chicken Soup Recipe

Post a Comment