17 October 2010

World Bread Day 2010 : Sour Soya Milk White Sourdough


The 5th world bread day has arrived and gone, don't forget to blog your bread today and submit it :   http://kochtopf.twoday.net/stories/announcing-5th-world-bread-day-2010


Here's that link icon again

World Bread Day 2010 (submission date October 16)


Asda's quite a distance away for us.  We only went there to give the car a run after the battery went flat on us.
So opening a carton of their soya milk that's gone thick for no apparent reason, means I can't take it back.

I tell my husband I'll use it in my next sourdough, meaning this bread recipe cannot be replicated, unless you use soya yoghurt I imagine


ingredients 
150g white fobbing leaven
320g thick soya milk : sub soya yoghurt
530g white bread flour
7g salt


my method in pictures:

whisk fresh white leaven and thick soya milk (yoghurt)




add flour and salt and knead lightly



rest for 1 hour & shape onto baking paper



rest for 3 - 4 hours



into a stock pot, slash and bake



soured soya milk sourdough



the crumb shot




sour soya milk sourdough - lightly toasted with egg








10 comments:

Joanna said...

Sounds delicious, looks fabulous, look at the oven spring on that and that perfect crust - lucky Tony that's all I can say - a one off bread like your beautiful paintings :)

Gill the Painter said...

Morning Joanna.
what a lovely thing to say to me :)
I worry that soya milk will "turn" or blacken in bread, but it's fine as an ingredient to use in bread making.

Choclette said...

Excellent, a girl after my own heart - nothing goes to waste! The bread looks really really good and can only assume it tasted good too.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Choclette
I felt quite proud of myself for not bumping the milk.
The bread has a lovely tang for it, yes.

Odette said...

Whoa, mama! That's a beautiful bread and beautiful photos to boot! I know you've 'dialed in' your sourdough breads and get pretty consistently excellent results so I wondered if you could tell any noticable differences using your soured soy milk? We don't use soy milk but always have plain yoghurt around.

zorra said...

Looks awesome, it's a pitty I can't reproduce it. Or perhaps yes, if I expose the soya at at the sun for some hours? ;-)

Thank you for participating in World Bread Day.

Margaret said...

Goodness me! Your sourdough loaf is a masterpiece - I definitely have bread envy.

Celia said...

Oooh, look at that crumb shot, Gill! It looks perfect!

Gill the Painter said...

Hello Odette.
Using soya instead of water, there's no impact on the method, it feels just the same when manipulated.
And there's just an added hint of a creamy tang to the taste, that doesn't come from the sour starter alone.

I feel it would make a big difference to a brown loaf mind, there's more of a reaction in that style of bread.
It was a definite thumbs up of a recipe.

Hi Zorra.
My pleasure, I like an interesting brief.

Good morning Margaret
and thank you. The loaf didn't last long I must admit.

And Celia, hello again.
For some reason unknown to moi, I do seem to get a good crumb with my usual balance of bread ingredients,
520/ 530g flour: 320g liquid: 120/ 150g leaven

works for me.

Tatter said...

Nice oven spring and what a great idea to use soured soya milk, have to try it out one day when my daughter leaves a carton of her soya milk on the kitchen table (which happens quite often!);D Could add some cooked soya beans too. Definitely will give it a go :D

Post a Comment