30 December 2010

lacquered ham (la cuisine de Monica)

My dear friend and foodie Elisa emailed me the video to French grandmother Monica's recipe for Jambonneau Laqué in November.
And I knew I had to try it for our informal dinner of sliced meat and pickles betwixt Christmas and New Year.

Elisa's posted her version of the dish on the Wildfood forum too.



It's gently citrussy, light, & importantly not at all sweet, and is a refreshing change to the clove studded or mustard version.

and as Monica says in her video transmission, keep that broth/ bouillon, surprisingly it's not salty

ingredients

1.5 kilo boned gammon here (or ham hock)

for the bouillon: turnip, carrot, leek, onion, parsley, celery, pepper (no need for salt)

for the lacquer: the juice of grapefruit, 2 lemon, 2 orange, lime, & honey

method

soak your ham in water for 24hrs, changing periodically
then poach your ham in the oven, in water flavoured with those bouillon ingredients, for 2hrs30 at 150
& leave it to cool in the stock



heat a squeeze of honey and add half the grapefruit juice, the lemon, orange and lime
place the ham into the pot, and baste on the hob for 10 mins



add the remaining grapefruit juice & lid on, put the ham pot into the oven for 30 mins, basting two or three times



if your syrup isn't reduced, put your pot on the hob again and baste until the juices are completely reduced and have glazed the joint - this should take 4 or 5 minutes only

cool, and serve with boiled potatoes and red cabbage

11 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I am so happy you liked it Gill! It did need a bit of tweaking with the basting in the oven, as I found when I made it, but I did like the citrussy result very much and once you put it back on the hob it goes very quickly doesn't it. I'll buy another one when back in Brussels (they have the piglets legs;)!)

Gill the Painter said...

Well thank you for showing the dish to me.

Celia said...

Gill, you're so un-lazy! The rest of us buy a cooked ham and paint the outside of it with a little glaze and pat ourselves on the back for making an effort! :) Your finished ham looks divine!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Celia!
Thank you, although you hardly have to do anything for the 5 or 6 hours.

I went out to get my car taxed for most of the time.

Lucinda said...

I'm so looking forward to making this. It will go down a treat here. Eldest wants to take one back to uni so I might have to make rather a lot!

Gill the Painter said...

Hams are half price now, Lucinda.
So you can afford to make a large one to keep the hungry student happy.

Joanna said...

I want to try this, Gill as I am addicted to all things citrussy and I am not a clove studder by inclination. We didn't do ham activities this holidays, got a bit bogged down in a large piece of beef...delicious though it was, after five days of beef sarnies and stir fries you fancy a change. I will ask the ham fan if he fancies having a crack at this one :)

Gill the Painter said...

What a coincidence, we had ham sandwiches for 5 days. :7)

drfugawe said...

Do you do anything with the 'bullion stock' after the ham is cooked in it? Or just pitch it?

drfugawe said...

"and as Monica says in her video transmission, keep that broth/ bouillon, surprisingly it's not salty "

As usual, I missed part of your post on first reading - Sorry!

Gill the Painter said...

Welcome drfugawe!
Joanna and I were talking about you on Tuesday when we had coffee in Gloucester.

I make a cured Irish beef, but the stock is unusable from that, it's bogging: pure salt.

But this one's just right.

Post a Comment