9 March 2011

Take one sunny day, invite a friend and make dosa

Joanna at Zeb Bakes & I have been meaning to get together in Cheltenham for a time.
And now we have a food challenge too, that doesn't involve sourdough.

Global Worming on the BBC messageboards had talked about dosa, so
"that'll do", I thought.


No hard recipe, 
just Manjula's technique on video for us to watch at table, before we share my kitchen   ....

the batter 
1 handful rice, cooked for 5 mins
2 handfuls moong dal

cover with water and leave to ferment for 24hrs
blend for several minutes to a smooth paste

add 1/4 teasp dry fried, blended fenugreek seeds





the stuffing 
cooked maris piper potatoes
peas, a little turmeric, pinch of cumin, black mustard seeds, & fresh coriander



making the dosa 

warm your flat pan to medium hot
rub with a little oil & scoop a half cup of thick dosa batter into the centre
circle the mix outwards with the back of a spoon


wait until the sides brown and the pancake breaks small bubbles
wipe the surface lightly with oil, and flip the pancake carefully
(Joanna was particularly good at this part)


rotate the dosa in quarter turns in the pan using the back of a spatula








line the centre with your potato filling


fold to a cigar shape, seam side down, and crisp



serve with your chosen side dishes 










A recipe to suit most people, inclusive of eating preferences, & intolerances.
 

11 comments:

Liz said...

Oh well done. My attempts at dosa have always failed.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Liz!
How have they failed?

I was a little worried the rice and dal would taste raw, but they were nicely soft and flavoursome.

Joanna said...

I'm fired with enthusiasm for making these all over again Gill! I've just been rooting around in the garage, and guess what I found 2 bags of urid dal, 2 bags of mung dal and one bag of chana dal amongst the lentil collection. Dosas are go! Thanks for a lovely day and sharing your kitchen with me! Such fun!

Gill the Painter said...

The combinations are endless, aren't they.
Meat fish, sweet savoury.
I was thinking about kulfi ice cream on rice dosas yesterday.

Haven't you got a lot of dal to be playing with.

Celia said...

I love dosa so much!! I didn't realise it was something one could make at home though..thanks Gill!

Choclette said...

Well, sort of sourdough - sour pancakes. There was a dosa restaurant in London I used to frequent which did fantastic cheap vegetarian dosas. I'm not sure I've had one since. You and Joanna getting together to make dosas sounds like a really fun thing to do.

Gill the Painter said...

Evening Celia

Neither did I. Joanna has a terrific video of how to make dosa.

Hello Choclette
Of course! dosa are sour, aren't they.
Perhaps you can get Joanna into your kitchen one fine day. She's rather good you know

zebbakes.com said...

Just sorting out the shelves some more. And have found those flours you gave me.

Is rava flour a variety of semolina flour? So presumably the one they use in rava dosa?

and Maida flour - is that the one for chapattis and parathas?


I'm going to make alloo paratha next week for Mellow bakers and found the flour you so kindly gave me and was going to use that if it was the right sort, getting my flours in a muddle here and need your advice as usual !

Gill the Painter said...

Maida is like plain flour, I'd use it in bread or paratha recipes that ask for plain.
It's much lighter than our plain flour though, in a better way.

I got the Rava for bhajis, Joanna. But now we know about dosa, I think that's what it's really for.

Confused? You and me both.

michelangelo in the kitchen said...

Wow Gill, I am delighted to have discovered your marvelous site! I just love your style of cooking and painting! Your a breath of fresh air for me! Thanks for visiting and I'll be visiting your gallery and kitchen pronto! Cheers!!!

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning Michelangelo.
Things are a bit slow for the passed month, but I'll be adding more
and have a couple of art things coming up that will be find a place here too.

Post a Comment