17 July 2011

richard bertinet prawn on sourdough



I haven't got his book, nor have I been to his cookery school, and have only seen Richard Bertinet on the BBC.
However, I would like to perfect (his) Richard Bertinet's dough mixing technique

I've tried it a couple of times, half heartedly, and have succeeded in working the dough clumsily well.
If you are having trouble keeping your dough firm and shapely, this way of bringing the bread ingredients together will solve that for you.


So yesterday, I worked the sourdough in the RB fashion once again.  Not for too long, I slapped and pulled for about 2 minutes, while he recommends about 10mins, until the dough tightened up just enough for me.



Left to rise for 2 hours, I shaped the dough form into 2 tin loaves.



Rested for a further 2hrs 30.  Then baked at 220 for 40 minutes. 





One thing that I do like is, the easily identifiable traces of your work in the crumb.
You can clearly see the bakers' turn I've used.


 The "Zeb Bakes" slice, a photograph for display purposes only



And garnished with prawns, lemon, mayonnaise and dill.





ingredients  

150g rye flour & 450g white strong flour
350g water
sea salt
evoo


Further information on Richard Bertinet can be found at his website: http://www.thebertinetkitchen.com/


6 comments:

Odette said...

That bread looks excellent Gill. You're reminding me that I haven't made much sourdough bread lately! Your prawn mayonnaise open sandwich looks deelish. I haven't come across Richard Bertinet, so thanks for posting his web site.

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning Odette.
I can recommend giving his knead a go.

It a good way of getting to grips with extremely wet dough very quickly in

celia said...

Richard Bertinet's book Dough started our bread journey, and we used to knead all our dough as he taught in the accompanying DVD. Over time though I've become more and more lazy, and I now barely knead at all! :)

So nice to see you posting Grilly, I've been missing you. :)

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning Celia.
Great to see you too.

I've not been posting so much recently, as I've not been creating so much.
& my cooking is basic and unexciting at the moment.

2/10 must try harder!

Lucinda said...

Looks delicious Gill. I haven't made any bread for a very long time. Must get back into it as the results were tasty.


Good to see you back posting!

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you.
Things got a little bogged down there for a moment, but I'm fitting more things in comfortably now.

And that means more blog posts too.

Post a Comment