18 September 2011

soya sourdough naan breads (4) & an Indian style meal

We've not had an Indian meal for ages.  Hard to come by in Spain, but easy to do at home.

So yesterday, I pottered effortlessly in the kitchen making:

a spicy chicken and tomato based curry
a yellow moong dal
onion relish &
a mustard seed & cavolo nero vegetable side dish






Plus soya naans.

I've always got soyas in.  
Cream, milks, which I sub regularly for dairy products in cooking, and haven't had a mishap yet.


soya naan ingredients (4)

400g strong white flour
120g fresh leaven

(250g) 125g water + 125g soya milk + 

Provomel plain soya yoghurt 
salt
a little oil
melted ghee for the baking





mix the leaven with the water compound and rest for 5 mins
add the remaining ingredients and bring together to a dough  
Rest for 15mins
Knead briefly, and rest your dough for 6 - 8 hours till well risen

Shape into 4 equal sized rounds, and press & roll out to your naan shape

Fire up a cast iron pan, plus lid
brush your naan shapes with the ghee, and fry for 2 or 3 mins either side, lid on, until they are puffed up to twice the size, and slightly charred in parts




Serve with your Indian meal, 
and freeze any remaining naans for another day.



10 comments:

azélia said...

Thanks for posting the recipe Gill...it will be on my meal plan next weekend!

Gill the Painter said...

You're welcome. Enjoy perfecting the naans as your own.

Choclette said...

That looks so delicious Gill. I do love curries, but haven't ever made naan - something else to add to the list.

Renee said...

Those look so good, Gill and I'll also be making them soon!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Choclette and Renee.

You can bake them in the oven, or on a hot hob.

Naans seem to be quite forgiving, although you do need to give them that long prove.

Anonymous said...

Drat Gill I'm hungry and those look like what I need just now! And gmail won't let me post again. Grr.

Hot or hot-hot oven?
Elisa

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Elisa.

Turn you oven to full, then down to 220 when the breadies go in.

I can't remember exactly how long they take, but probably 10 - 15 mins, turning once.

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

What a lovely meal you have made there Gill. The charred spots on those naan look superb. I keep meaning to experiment with the other alternative dairy products out there too, there's the rice one and the oat one, have you tried those in baking... and I thought of you when I saw a wonderful amaranth loaf on The Fresh Loaf yesterday too. Apparently you can pop amaranth seed like mini popcorn....

Gill the Painter said...

I've still got a lot of amaranth left in my cupboard Joanna. I should try some mini popcorn then.

Re the rice and oat milks, yes I've tried them.
Rice milk is awful, but it still cooks.

But I haven't tried oat milk in baking. I should think it's tasty.

Subramani V said...

As a South Indian(of Tamilnadu), I can say, for vegetarian, "Tomato gravy(Thakkaali Chutnee/Thokku in local language)" is a good combination for naan. You can expect this in most of vegetarian hotels. Here Images are good.Proud of our food. :). And to have it, drive to dinner deals

Post a Comment