16 January 2012

how to make coconut milk: Laylita's bacalao encocado



It's not often that I discover something new and different, that I shall incorporate into my cooking today onwards.  
From Laylita's pescado encocado, I decided on the spot that I'd have to try the dish from Central America, just reading it.  
Some posts sing out to be cooked.

I also knew that I wouldn't buy tinned coconut for it, and would attempt to make fresh coconut milk.  
Now the coconuts I've seen in Morrisons are obviously not the Spice Island quality I've tried in the past.  But they'd have to do.
 
As with most things on the internet, there is a lot of guidance out there on how to do it.   All very simple too. 

I blended the coconut pieces with a little liquid (milk, water, cream), I used milk here.  Squeezed hard through a muslin to extract the cream, and .... well, there is no "and".  That's all there is to it.


bacalao encocado: ingredients  


fresh, firm fish fillet cut into chunks - cod, halibut, sea bass etc
the juice of 2 oranges, and 2 lemons
4 garlic cloves
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp paprika
1tsp ground cumin
1 small onion, chopped finely
2 red peppers, chopped finely
4 tomatoes, chopped finely
coconut milk, freshly extracted or tinned
freshly chopped coriander herb
salt

Soak the fish in lemon & orange juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika and salt for 1 - 2 hours in the fridge
Sauté the onion, garlic tomatoes and peppers (sofrito) for 5mins
Pour in the coconut milk and simmer for 10mins.  (at this stage you can thicken the sauce with cornflour if you like - I prefer thin sauces and gravies)
Add the cod pieces, cover the pan and cook gently for 15 - 20 mins, dependent upon your fish.



extract your fresh coconut pieces

purée the pulp with milk, cream or water

wring out the juice through a muslin

fine coconut & coconut milk

A delicious fish dish, with a pleasurable, balanced, gently spiced coconut sauce.  





9 comments:

Odette said...

That looks fantastic, Gill and it's going straight onto my 'must make' list. Will you dry the the coconut remains for DIY dessicated?

Lucinda said...

Looks absolutely fabulous!!!

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Odette and Lucinda,
yes it really was a terrific dish.

I haven't decided what to do with the coconut remains. It's good for making hair shiny, apparently.

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

Well I would eat this immediately, speaking as someone who is rather full from a delicious lunch with a friend, I would still find room for this. :)

Gill the Painter said...

Pats tummy, exclamation mark - that was a lovely lunch with very relaxing company.
We must do it more often, Joanna.

My soup's on. And whilst unpacking the goodly goodies, I've just realized I've got all the mint.

Whoops.

celia said...

I have never made my own coconut milk, and I don't think any of my family have either. Good for you, Grilly! :)

Gill the Painter said...

Nice to try something new, Celia.
And this is something I would do, rather than open a can of coconut cream, if I can get hold of a fresh coconut that is.

I really liked the results.

Alessandra said...

Yum, I am a big fan of coconut milk :-).

I liked your comment on the KitchenMaid, I particularly liked the word respect.

Have a good Sunday

Ciao
Alessandra

Gill the Painter said...

good morning and welcome, Alessandra.
I thought your comment was well thought out too.

Enjoy your Sunday, whatever you are getting up to.

Post a Comment