14 February 2012

quark: delicious days: pogácsa


Too much of a good thing can catch up with you.
My husband has eaten so much Greek yoghurt, that he's finding it difficult to digest nowadays, and needs some time away from the product.

Seeking out a soya alternative for him, has had my eating all the soya yoghurt offerings instead, since he thinks it tastes funny.  And it does too, although I like that flavour.

And I got the same reaction with almost-fat-free Quark, leaving me wondering what to do with it. 


Until yesterday, when a blog post from Munich dropped into my Google Reader page.  Nicky from Delicious Days has just made cheesy nibbles using Quark, giving me the opportunity to use the unwanted pot in the fridge.


Flaky, light, savoury cheeselets, that are ideal as a midday snack to keep you going.



Thank you Nicky.

method    
  • no change to her ingredients, mixed all together in the food processor using the plastic blade.
  • folded the soft mix 3 times as you would flaky pastry.
  • rolled out the pastry to 3/4cm thickness, & topped with parmesan cheese and a grating of Zulu chilli flakes
  • cut the area into squares
  • and baked undisturbed at 200 for 15mins



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Gill. I wish I had the knack for baking as much as you do. They do look scrumptious! Elisa

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning Elisa.
Baking is easier than it looks, so long as you have the right recipe.

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

Wow they look light as a feather' What a treat! I'm going to nip over to your friend's blog to see how that is put together right away xx

David Whitehouse said...

Quark stollen, Gill ? Dan's sour cherry stollen, maybe ?

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Joanna.
They worked out better than I had hoped, yes. I usually make cheese straws for Tony, but these were a welcome change.

He's eaten them all now, so I know he's enjoyed them.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi David! Lovely to see you here again.

I've printed out Dan's recipe to try. It looks fantastic.
Thanks for reminding me how good the guardian foods are.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/dec/11/stollen-recipe-cherry-dan-lepard

celia said...

They look lovely, Gill, but I have no idea what Quark is.. :)

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Celia.
Quark is a low-fat cheese, which tastes like Greek yoghurt.
Very common in German cooking as it happens.

Post a Comment