Mamta Gupta at the excellent Mamta's Kitchen, has asked for advice regarding her bread, which uses atta/ chapatti flour, on the Wildfood forum.
And I have to thank Mamta for bringing atta flour to my attention.Back to Mamta and her issue, her bread crumbles and disintegrates on slicing.
It's a delight in sourdough bread, so much so, I'll be incorporating it into part of my weekly bakes.
I dig chapatti flour, a lot.
If you have any thoughts, why not pop over to the forum and help her out.
Maybe it's simply down to not enough water?
But I feel it's adding sugar, using a little too much oil, and not getting the proving timings quite right that may be contributing.
So I've taken a gallery of images of the process I follow, to help pin point what to watch out for.
- don't use too much oil
- don't worry about the water temperature. I used cold water, 13deg yesterday
- try not to use flour when kneading
- time things by eye, not by the clock
- try to judge that first prove well, with enough elasticity and air. Too short and you'll hamper the final lift in the oven
- the second rise isn't as important - if that makes sense - use a tin and you'll see it better
- keep your dough neat with a bakers' fold. This helps with the final shape
- be forgiving. Loaves don't have to look perfect to be enjoyed
Mamta's chapatti flour sourdough loaf
325g water & 1 teasp ev olive oil
125g refreshed white leaven (100%) (substitute your usual yeast)
200g chapatti flour & 320g strong white flour (40:60)
5g fine sea salt
|water plus 1 teasp ev olive oil|
|mix water @13deg with leaven|
|add flours and salt|
|pull together to a sticky firm mix|
|knead for 30secs as best you can|
|fold and rest for 45mins|
|no need for flour, knead for another 30secs|
|and rest, covered with cling film|
|until elastic and well aerated|
|form into a baton, into a tin and dust with rice flour|
|leave to rise for 1hr30mins|
|hack with a scalpel .... or rather slash|
|bake at 220 for 25mins, reduce to 190 for 15 - 20mins|
|cool on a rack|
|tangy, soft, light moist chapatti flour sourdough|