4 May 2012

Fine Art at Wilton Castle, Ross-on-Wye, on behalf of the British Red Cross

Today's the day.  Over 50 artists participating in the May Bank Holiday fine art exhibition.  And on Monday, you can bring along your own item of art to be valued by James Forster, the organiser and art valuer.
That's my oil painting "the Gathering" on the flyer too, which is a first for me.
If you are near Ross-on-Wye over the Bank Holiday weekend, why not take a detour to enjoy the exhibition.


 

Nearly a year has passed since James at Beckford Fine Art telephoned and invited me to participate in his group exhibition, some time way off into the following year, at Ross-on-Wye.

In the ensuing months, I've had a lot of time to get my body of work together: 3 paintings in oils, and 3 ordinary object pictures in gouache, although I was still finishing works early this week, rather typically of me.
Adding painterly flicks and daubs, and also signing that one piece I'd forgotten to put my mark to.

I'd been certain to make the month of April wide-open free too, for the time consuming making of the frames.
I'd chosen ash for its looks, but unknown to me, it's the hardest wood on the planet.  So I've had to treat myself to a power tool, a rechargeable light drill, to get the fixings into the back.  
There's no evidence of the hardship on the front though, but please remind me not to buy ash timber ever again. 

I confess I was feeling particularly shaky about my pieces, thinking I'd got it all wrong, until Joanna at Zeb Bakes visited last week for the day and commented in admirable terms about them.  I realised I had got it right, especially as she returned home to Bristol with an oil painting in her arms.  Thanks Joanna!

All ready in their protective wraps to chauffeur to Wilton Castle yesterday afternoon.




I can now do no more now, save turn up and enjoy tonight.  
You only get one window of opportunity at an art exhibition, even if it lasts for 3 weeks.  And that chance is on the Opening Night.  It's the most important moment for the artist at an event, where you will meet and talk unnaturally about yourself, your angst, your artistic meaning to complete strangers.




Future exhibitions are at Ludlow Castle in Oct 2012, and Blenheim Palace in 2013.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time tonight Gill! I'll be thinking of you and wish you lots of success!
Elisa xxx

Ray K said...

sounds like a great event!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time tonight and I wish you lots of success!

Love,
Renée xxx

Gill the Painter said...

Hello again, Ray.
It was a super event, packed with enthusiastic guests, which always surprises me.
People are so kind about the artworks.

Such a high standard too, I was privileged to be there really.

A good night in the 2012 calendar. Thank you.

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning to you Elisa.
And hello Renee. Lovely to see you.

The evening flew by, and we were so lucky with the weather which always makes such a difference.
I'll be driving over today and plan to take some pictures of the setting.

Oh and your wishes for success worked. I've sold half on this night. I'll be very lucky indeed if anything else goes to a good home, but you never know.

Love Gill.

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

Congratulations Gill! Sounds like a good opening night! Have a great weekend xx Joanna

Gill the Painter said...

Joanna, my favourite food blogger! (no offence to other bloggers reading this).

Strangely I'm feeling rather flat about it all today, but it gets to you like that. The enthusiasm deserts you sometimes.

Mamta said...

Hello Gill
Just saw this. I hope you sold all your paintings and got a few commissions too. You now have to start planning/painting for your next exhibition :-).
Love
Mamta

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning to you Mamta.
Yes, 2 more days to run and I've got to get fired up again for the next.

You seem to have so much time, but really I've only got 3 months to paint 6 oil paintings. It's quite tight.

Ah well.... XX

celia said...

Grilly, I love your art, and how wonderful that they used your painting on the flyer. Congratulations on all of it!

PS. Joanna is my favourite blogger too.. :) xx

Gill the Painter said...

Howdi, Celia.
Thank you for the good wishes. It took me a while to find my feet again, and I'm back on track now for the remainder of my painting commitments.

XXX

Lush said...

I'm late catching up with this blog - blame it on my not having a head!

Nice seeing some familiar paintings there Grillygirl - you certainly haven't lost any of the energy that's in The Gathering - I'm not surprised it was chosen for the flyer - what an apt subject - the organisers must have been licking themselves!

Good on you for doing so well - some going in these austere times.......!

Post a Comment