29 May 2012

On my doorstep: the Cotswold Way

102 miles/ 164 km in total, the Cotswold Way travels the length of Bath to Chipping Camden,
through rural honeypot villages, enjoying scenic vistas of the Malverns and the Vale of Evesham in the distance, and atomic yellow fields close by.

As routes go, it's undulating, but lightweight in comparison to some paths.

We picked up our walk at Winchcombe. We used to live at Winchcombe.  Taking us over to Broadway, a 12 mile stretch on a bright, hot, English summer day.

remember the country code
quirky railings

starting out at Puck Pit Lane
I want one!

the cows trying to escape?

interesting mechanism for closing the gate

route towards Halles
through deep green wheat fields
 

the river Isbourne, actually flows North, interestingly (tributary of the river Avon)

wild geranium and cow parsley

the 12th century Hailes Church pre-dates the neighbouring Cistercian Hailes Abbey

where we pick our sloes and blackberries in Autumn

distinctive furrowed field
Glub!  He wasn't interested in us though

carved swan gate dating back to 1840's

Stanway Gate - Joanna and I are going to their flour mill

atomic yellow fields at Stanton

what a surprise gift from Tony - freebie with his swimming trunks for some strange reason

rare breed

fox roof ornament

duckie roof ornaments


jelly-mould church

Laverton village

Buckland Manor gardens from the perimeter - afternoon tea @ £20 per head

dedicated honeypot topiary

Capability Brown's Broadway Tower on the hill line

Broadway village



the end of our walk into the honeypot centre of town



16 comments:

ray@garlicbuddha said...

I need to get out with my camera... I think that spending time in the countryside or, even better, by the sea, is good for the soul. I have a few days off - must get out!

celia said...

How fun to go on your stroll with you, Gill! It didn't do my cardiovascular fitness any good, but my soul is quite soothed.. :)

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning to you Ray.
By the sea is heaps better.
Water is something that this part of the world lacks. I used to love walking the tow path of the Thames from Kew to Teddington or down to Hampton Court.

Here around Cheltenham there are no river walks, and we're land locked.

Still, we've got the hills.

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Celia.
Pleased to hear it gave you a workout of some sorts.
I don't run, or do the gym or sports of any kind.
But I walk an awful lot, and cycle.

It's excellent for the body and soul, yes. Although these things are getting a little harder ;)

Joanna said...

What a lovely walk! I found myself reminiscing for younger fitter years too. I love all the details you focus on, the railings and the rooftop animals in particular and the buildings on the skyline. Beautiful Cotswolds. I saw you said you used to walk the towpath to Hampton Court, you would have passed opposite the house I grew up in on the river at Thames Ditton, with a huge cedar tree in the bottom lawn, just by the small islands. I used to put my dog in the dinghy and cross the river and walk there for hours in Home Park. My secret park....

Gill the Painter said...

That's quite a private park you had in your youth, Joanna.
Yes, we must have walked past your home on several occasions.
I wish I'd known at the time ....

Mamta said...

That is a lovely and long walk Gill, some lovely pictures :-) too. I walk some days with my birdwatching friends and am discovering so many beautiful places around us which I never knew existed while I was working! Never really learnt to bike, I wish I had!

Lush said...

You must have a pair of rock-hard calves Gillygirl - please tell me they were aching the next day.........! :))
Beautiful walk - & such a lot of quirkies along the way - great pics!
Hope those calves got a good massage.........

ps not getting your feed for some reason - but the ruddy pc has been all over the place for a couple of weeks now....:-( !

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Mamta.
You can't ride a bike! I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't learned. Not that it will ever hold you back in life ;)

There are indeed some incredible places out there when you put on your walking boots.
You'd never see them otherwise.

Gill the Painter said...

Lush
My calves are fine. It's the feet that need a massage .... but I won't let anyone near my feet!

Sorry you're not getting the feed though. There's not a lot I can do this end, and blogger is so buggy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gill! What superb photography. You made it possible for us to follow your beautiful walk all along! Gerard was positively jealous, he loves to trek in beautiful country. Sadly for him I'm more of a swim, sea girl although I walk too, but by no means long distances. We did walk 3 miles up and down just two weeks ago to see a big sequoia tree in Yosemite National Park called the Grizzly Giant which is 2700 years old. You'd have loved it and for you that would have been just a walk in the park! Elisa

Lucinda said...

What a glorious walk Gill. I love the Cotswolds. You made me want to get some walking shoes on and head off.

Bravo Tony on the Haribo...

Gill the Painter said...

I'd love to go walking with you again, Lucinda. Tony could bring 2 packets of sweeties.

Lucinda said...

Then that's definitely to be planned! (p.s. hint hint...... I love sour Haribo)

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

I must do this part of the Cotswold way this summer. Although from Gloucestershire I live overseas and try to drink in as much of the greenery every July and August when back in UK. Lovely pics

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you Sally.
Good walking country round here.

Post a Comment