27 December 2012

How to make Turducken - a 4 bird roast

However you say it or spell it, I've wanted to create this dish every time we discuss our Christmas dinner options.
And, for our 2012 celebrations, we decide to make the Turducken.
The internet of course is usually a great source of information, but not really so when it comes to making this dish.  
I watched videos and blogs, but remained unsure about the crafting of the bird.

Until I came across a post at the food in my beard, and Elizabeth's Youtube video.
Both excellent guides, cutting through the flannel, and getting right to the heart of the exact details I was looking for.
I do appreciate an informed link that anticipates the needs of the reader.

So, after dithering somewhat, I choose to use turkey + guineafowl + chicken + pheasant in that order, and losing the ducken, which changes my poultry turducken into a distinctly gamely one.

Next up, I work on my stuffing,  I figure it's essential in keeping moisture within the meats, adding more taste, whilst also accentuating the layered lines.
I'm trying to avoid adding in even more meat, and eschew minced pork suggestions and go with a Spanish feel of lambs liver/ baked mushrooms/ Oloroso sherry/ thyme and shallot, soaked overnight in the booze, which I then purée to a paste the following morning.

And on Christmas Eve morning, I begin the deboning task, after sharpening my knives and watching Elizabeth's video link once more.

6 kilo organic turkey


The primary principle of deboning the turkey is to keep the skin intact.
Therefore, it's important to note that the blade of bone between the two breast areas gets very close to the skin.  Extra care is needed when working around this part, in order not to pierce the skin. 
But otherwise, it's a stress-free task if done steadily, which takes about 20 minutes using one filleting knife. 

I should also point out The Food in My Beard's tip of using breast meat when filling the turkey shell, rather than deboning any of the other birds you are using.  So, thereafter, it's a simple case of removing the fillets from the pheasant, the chicken and the guineafowl, reserving their carcasses for the 2 stocks: turkey and game.

deboned, thigh bones removed but leg and wings attached

I saw plenty of videos of cooks home and professional packing the bird to the max, one even tearing the skin in doing so.   
I decide to under stuff the bird, and to keep the vulnerable central back channel where the blade was housed stuffing free, and to pack just along the sides.
I also lay the chicken, guineafowl and pheasant breast left to right, feeling that the bird will have more form and structure running opposite to the turkey breast.  I season with the paste and salt and pepper as I work.

A tip.  Put your salt and pepper into a little pot, and throw away the remains which have been contaminated with raw meat.


the turkey is packed and stuffed, seasoning as you go along

Cocktail sticks are not enough to hold things together.   But as I'm putting the turkey back on my own, I need them to give me some security as I work with string and a darning needle.  Use pliers if the needle struggles to come through.
This element proves a bit trickier than I anticipated as it's a two person job, but the task is done thanks to my not overstuffing the bird.


pinned and trussed

Flip it over carefully, and admire your ability to still make it look like a Christmas turkey after all.


place on your trivet and baking tray

Tip: At this point you need to think about keeping the structure, as there is nothing really holding the bird together save the skin.
I slide two metal skewers through the body, wing - wing, and leg - leg.  It causes no harm, and helps with thorough, even baking too.

Frustratingly, cooking instructions for turducken generalise and vary from long slow roasting for 10hrs, to fast impatient baking for 3.
But I feel the easiest way to approach this is with a thermometer, aiming for an internal temperature of 70-75 to be sure.

roasted covered @170 for 5hrs 10mins
Tip: use two roasting tins.  After each baste, switch oven trays and wash out the grungy one.

I roasted my 9lb bird for 5hrs10 @170deg, reaching an internal temperature of 79 when I got round to testing.  
Removed from the oven, and rested the joint in 4 layers of foil wrap for 1hr30, whilst I made the sauce and vegetables in the freed up oven.

the skewers helped tremendously

Slice carefully, I'd recommend removing the wings and legs as the bones got in the way for me.

slice after resting

And serve your turducken with Jack Daniels enhanced gravy, parsnips, sprouts, roast potatoes, chipolatas and a plum jam.

Christmas Dinner

16 comments:

Kavey said...

Wow, very impressed indeed!

Next year, this:

http://urbandiner.ca/2010/08/12/roti-sans-pareil-roast-without-equal-a-k-a-death-to-birds/

Gill the Painter said...

Ha! That's a grand feat indeed, Kavey.

Unknown said...

Just looking at that roast makes me drool Gill. It looks perfect and you have my full admiration for a brilliant job! Tony is a lucky man. Elisa xx

Mamta said...

That looks very impressive Gill, a lot of work. How many did you have for Christmas dinner?

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

Wow, that was a challenge and you executed it brilliantly. I would never dare do that - congratulations :)

Gill the Painter said...

Mamta! There were just the two of us.
I've got so much left, even after using it for these passed 3 days.
I've carved the remainder up & popped it into the freezer for future meals.

And I'll take some out for turducken samosas at New Year, when family visit.

Gill the Painter said...

Good morning to you Elisa.
Actually, I'm still drooling at it. It's a heavenly meal. XX

Gill the Painter said...

Hi Joanna.
I thought at first I would never do it too. But it's not that difficult, and I shall tell people that next year if they ask.

Happy New Year to you Kavey, Elisa, Mamta and Joanna.

Odette said...

Seriously impressive, Gill. I would never have considered it but now it's up there in the thought list. Great blog post, too.

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you, Odette.
I'm sure it's tweakable, using different meats in different sorts of casements.

But that would take a bit of thought too.

Lucinda said...

Wonderful Gill! I think I am going to have to do this whilst the hollow legged ones are still here...........

It looks delicious!

Gill the Painter said...

Thank you, Lucinda.
The last thing to do with the turducken is fold it into filo parcels with cranberry as nibbles.

It's done us well.

ray@garlicbuddha said...

No roast in our house, Over the Christmas period we tucked into bombay dosas with coconut and yoghurt chutney, spinach and paneer, a mixed dhal, naan bread, onion bhajees and er.. stir fried shredding brussels sprouts in ginger. Nice! :)

Prashad's Indian vegetarian cooking was my cookbook of the year!

Happy New year to you!

Gill the Painter said...



I adore the sound of your vegetarian meal. Sprouts in ginger are an excellent touch!

Happy New Year to you too, Ray.

Andrew Taylor said...

Very nice work Gill. As a lover of crispy duck, I wonder if a large duck or goose on the outside would be like. I had the traditional turkey dinner which I cooked breast down as usual. But quel-surprise, I ditched the Paxo, which you may remember caused much consternation and I made stuffing from fresh. I was appalled at at the weird stuff the put in it presumably to aid storage. There was a programme on television showing how they make, and basically everything is baked in the loaf, and then they just grind it up!

Andrew Taylor
Sent from my iPhone 4S

Gill the Painter said...

Paxo-gate!
I remember that very well, Andrew.

I had a conversation about goose on the outside the other day with fellow cooks. Fabulous I should think.

Lovely to hear from you again. XXX

Post a Comment